- Vision + Initiatives
- Accreditation and Policies
- Job Opportunities
- Contact Us
CCC Horticulture Department offers fall workshops
OREGON CITY – This fall, the Horticulture Department at Clackamas Community College is offering workshops for home gardeners, as well as classes for professional licensing. A roundup of short courses and workshops during fall term follows:
- Small Farm School: Sept. 21, 8 a.m-4:50 p.m., Clairmont Hall. A hands-on course for small-acreage farmers and rural landowners. Workshop and classroom topics will cover business and marketing, vegetable crops, fruits, equipment, livestock, pasture, beginning farmers, policy, soil and water. Register at http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/small-farm-school. For more information, contact Heidi Noordijk at email@example.com or 971-801-0392.
- Make Your Own Mini Hoop House: Oct. 7, 9-10:50 a.m., Clairmont Hall, Room 117. Learn to grow food year-round in your backyard. Participants will be guided through the construction of a mini hoop house. Bring up to a dozen 10-foot, ½-inch galvanized electrical conduit. Cost is $20.
- Seed Saving – Coming Full Circle: Oct. 14, 8:30 a.m.-12:20 p.m., Clairmont Hall, Room 117. Learn why seed saving is important and how it can become part of gardening and farming. The basics of seed saving, how to integrate the practice into growing spaces, how to tell when seeds are ready for collecting and how to keep them viable will be covered. The workshop combines lecture and hands-on work, with seed cleaning being a big part of seed saving. Participants will take home seeds for spring gardens. Cost is $30.
- Aquaponics: Oct. 21, 8-11:50 a.m., Clairmont Hall, Room 117. Aquaponics is a food production system that combines aquaculture with hydroponics. This introductory workshop covers water quality, biosecurity and plant and fish health. Participants will learn the basic science underlying the use of fish waste as fertilizer while working with CCC’s home-scale aquaponics system. Cost is $40.
- Japanese-style Pruning: Nov. 4, 8-11:50 a.m., Clairmont Hall, Room 117. Learn the art of Japanese pruning with Masa Mizuno, a highly respected master of Japanese garden cultivation. This is a hands-on class; bring gloves and pruning tools. The pruning portion of this workshop will be done at a local nursery. Transportation will not be provided. Cost is $40.
- Apprentice Applicator Recertification/Spanish, Aprendiz de Aplicador Recertificanión/Español: Dec. 1, 8 a.m.-4:50 p.m., Clairmont Hall, Room 133. This class fulfills the Oregon Department of Agriculture’s (ODA) yearly continuing education requirements to renew pesticide apprentice applicator licenses. Fee is $80.
Clase cumple con los requisitos de capacitación de ODA para la recertificación de licencia de aprendiz applicador. Clase se imparte en Español. El precio es $80.
- Herb Gifts/Holiday Decorating: Dec. 2, 8 a.m.-12:20 p.m., Clairmont Hall, Room 117. Enjoy a morning of making gifts and holiday arrangements while learning about herbs and plants appropriate for decorating. Participants get to take their arrangements home. Cost is $45.
- Pesticide Core Training/Winter: Dec. 8, 8 a.m.-11:50 a.m., Clairmont Hall, Room 133. This training qualifies for four CORE recertification credits as required by Oregon Department of Agriculture. Fee is $40.
For more information about horticulture offerings at CCC, call 503-594-3292, email Loretta Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.clackamas.edu/academics/skills-development-training/workshops. All classes and workshops listed here will be held on the CCC Oregon City campus, 19600 Molalla, Ave.