• Academic Regulations

    Academic Regulations


    You must be officially registered to attend class and are expected to attend the classes in which you’re enrolled. If you do not attend your first class session, and do not contact your instructor before the first class session, you may be administratively withdrawn from the class to accommodate wait-listed students. If you are withdrawn from a class under this procedure, you will be notified by the Registrar’s Office.


    Make sure you attend your first day of class! If you can’t make it to your first class session, contact your instructor in advance. If you don’t, you may be administratively withdrawn. If you’re withdrawn from a class under this procedure, you’ll be notified by the Registrar’s Office. If you used financial aid or Veteran’s benefits, you may owe a repayment. Absences during religious holidays when the college is open will be accepted if notification is received before class begins.

    Absences due to participation in college-sponsored field trips, intercollegiate functions and other trips may be excused through prior arrangement with your instructors. Financial aid programs have specific attendance requirements. Contact the Student Financial Services Office for more information, 503.594.6100.

    Adding and dropping classes and Official withdrawal

    To register for a course after the class has started, you must get the instructor’s approval and signature on a registration form* and submit that form at the Enrollment Services Center in Roger Rook Hall.

    No registration or schedule changes are accepted after the eighth week of the term.

    To officially drop a course or withdraw from college, you must file the request with the Registrar’s Office, via CougarTrax, by mail, fax or in person. (Ceasing to attend class does not constitute official withdrawal.)

    Drops or withdrawals after the sixth week of the term require the signature of the instructor. These courses will appear on your transcript with a “w” in the grade column. In order to drop a course without responsibility for a grade, your add/drop request must be filed before the end of the sixth week of the term.
    Wait List

    You may be able to request a position on a class wait list if the class you want is full at the time of registration. Requests can be made via CougarTrax, or in person at the Enrollment Services Center in Roger Rook Hall. You will be enrolled should an opening become available in the course you have requested. Students are enrolled from the wait list on a first come, first served and eligibility basis. The conditions that may affect eligibility for wait list placement are as follows:

    • Wait list seat load capacity has been met.
    • There is a “hold” on your student record that restricts registration.
    • There are course restrictions in place such as “instructor consent.”
    • You are already enrolled in another section of the same course.
    • There is a time conflict with the course you have selected.
    • You have reached the maximum number of credits allowed (18) without additional authorization.
    • Class has already begun.

    College Credits

    The standard unit of measurement for college work is called a credit.

    A full-time student is defined as someone enrolled in 12 or more credits in any one term. No student may enroll in more than 18 credits per term without approval from a counselor.

    Courses Numbered: 100 and above
    Community college courses resulting in transcripted academic credit which may be applied toward a degree and/or certificate. May also transfer to other institutions.

    10 through 99
    Community college courses resulting in transcripted academic credit which may be applied toward a degree and/or certificate and transferable to other community colleges.

    1 through 8
    Community education courses, workshops or seminars that carry no credit or application toward a degree and/or certificate.

    Classes, seminars, workshops and training resulting in Continuing Education Units (CEUs). These courses are not transcripted as academic credit nor are they applicable toward a degree and/or certificate.

    Variable Credit

    Some courses are eligible for variable credit. These courses are noted in the Schedule of Classes with a “V” in the credit column. This option allows you to pursue an individualized learning program. Notify your instructor of the number of credits you are pursuing.

    You must register for the number of credits you expect to earn in that term

    Credit by Examination (Challenge exam)

    You can challenge a course for credit by taking an oral, written, performance examination or a combination for course eligibility. Challenge exams are subject to the following limitations:

    • Certain courses have been approved for challenge (see the Advising & Counseling Center).
    • You must be enrolled at CCC and complete a minimum of three credits during the term in which you challenge a course.
    • You may not challenge more than 12 credits per term.
    • Challenge exams need to be completed by the eighth week of the term. Credit from challenge exams completed after the eighth week will be recorded on your transcript the following term.
    • The per credit challenge fee must be paid prior to testing.

    You may challenge a course by obtaining an application from the Enrollment Services Center or the Advising & Counseling Center and contacting the college department responsible for instruction of the course. The exam is comprehensive, covering all the basic information and skills required of a student completing the course in the regular manner. The examination may be written, oral, performance or a combination. For more information call the Advising & Counseling Center, 503-594-3475.


    Letter grades are used to indicate the quality of work done. To find your grade point average (GPA), divide the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credits attempted in classes graded A-F. Courses graded Pass/No Pass are excluded in calculating GPA. If you believe a grading error has occurred, you must notify your instructor immediately.

    Grade Explanation - Points/Credit Hour

    A = Excellent (4)
    B = Good (3)
    C = Average (2)
    D = Below Average (1)
    F = Fail (0)
    P = Pass, credit given, no grade points (0)
    N = No pass, no credit, no grade points (N/A)
    I = Incomplete, no credit, no grade points (N/A)
    X = Audit, no credit, no grade points (N/A)
    W = Withdrawn after sixth week of term, no credit, no grade points (N/A)
    UG = Unreported grade: no credit, no grade points earned (N/A)


    An Audit allows you to attend class without responsibility for a grade. Audit carries no credit and does not contribute toward full-time student status. Audited courses do not meet full-time status required for Veterans or Social Security benefits, Financial Aid and athletic eligibility. Registration, tuition, fees and attendance standards for audited courses are the same as for credit courses. To change your status from audit to credit, or from credit to audit, you must talk to your instructor and make these changes through the registration process before the end of the eighth week of the term.


    Clackamas Community College operates on the quarter system. Fall, winter and spring terms are 11 weeks in length and summer term classes are eight or 11 weeks in length. Credits as noted on transcripts are measured in quarter hours.

    Final Exams

    Final examinations take place the last week of each term. You must take finals at the scheduled time; exceptions will be made only for illness or other circumstances beyond your control, and must be approved by your instructor prior to scheduled exam time.


    Students achieving a term GPA of 3.5 or better based on nine or more credits graded (A-F) will be placed on the CCC honor roll for that term.


    A grade of Incomplete indicates that the quality of work is satisfactory but that an essential requirement of the course has not been completed. Incompletes are granted only for acceptable reasons and only with the instructor’s consent. An Incomplete must be made up within one calendar year from the time it is received or it will remain on your transcript, and then the course must be repeated if credit is to be received.

    You must make arrangements with the instructor to complete a course in which you’ve received an Incomplete.

    Pass/No Pass

    A Pass grade indicates satisfactory completion of the course (equivalent to a C or better). A No Pass grade means the course was not satisfactorily completed and no credit was granted. Some courses are offered only on a Pass/No Pass basis. Some courses offer the option to choose between Pass/No Pass and a letter grade and some courses may be taken for a letter grade only. If you’d like to be graded Pass/No Pass, and the course qualifies, you must tell your instructor by the end of the sixth week of the course.

    Repeating Courses

    You may repeat a course as many times as you choose. You must fill out a Repeated Course form with the Registrar’s Office to request a recalculation of your GPA. A repeated course will reflect an “R” on your transcript. The grade (A, B, C, D, F) of your last attempt will be used in computing your cumulative GPA. Other attempts will be shown on your transcript, but will not be included in calculating your GPA.


    Official transcripts of your course work at CCC cost nothing and may be ordered in person, by written request or fax through the Registrar’s Office.

    For more information call 503-594-6100.

    Clackamas Community College reserves the right to withhold issuance of transcripts to students who have not met their obligations to the college.