Clinical Lab Assistant
Health Sciences Department | CC - Certificate of Completion | 1 year
Earn your Clinical Lab Assistant certificate at Clackamas Community College and start your medical career in as little as one year.
Clinical Lab Assistants work with highly trained laboratory personnel to solve diverse diagnostic puzzles, and can be the first step in a career pathway leading to an inspiring profession in Clinical Laboratory Science or Nursing. In one academic year, the successful graduate should be ready for an entry-level position, serving either in the front-line of the laboratory, greeting patients, and collecting specimens or in the back of the laboratory processing specimens for analysis and performing waived testing.
- Clinical Lab Assistant Application (2018-19)
- Clinical Lab Assistant Student Handbook
- Clinical Lab Assistant Open House Flyer
Note that the application deadline has been extended to June 8, 2018. Get started now!
Clinical Laboratory Assistant Prerequisites
Complete the Following
- Medical Terminology
Take MTH-050 or MTH-065
- Technical Mathematics I
- Algebra II
Clinical Laboratory Assistant Core Requirements
Complete BI-120, or BI-101 & BI-102, or BI-231 & BI-232 & BI-233
- Gen Biology; Cellular Biology
- Gen Biology; Animal Systems
- Intro/Human Anat & Physiology
- Human Anatomy/Physiology I
- Human Anatomy/Physiology II
- Human Anatomy/Physiology III
Complete the Following
- Introduction to Health Care
- Clinical Lab Assist Skills I
- Clin Lab Assist Skills I Lab
- Clinical Lab Assist Skills II
- Clin Lab Assist Skills II Lab
- Clinical Lab Assist Skills III
- Clin Lab Assist Skills III Lab
- Lab Administrative Skills
- Phlebotomy for CLA
- Phlebotomy for CLA Lab
- Phlebotomy/Lab/Practicum I
- Lab/Phlebotomy Practicum II
- Intro to Clinical Research
- Specimen Collection
- Survey of Computing
- Human Relations
Communication Related Instruction
Take WR-101 or WR-121
- Commun. Skills: Occup Writing
- English Composition
Human Relations Related Instruction
Complete COMM-100 COMM-111 or COMM-218
- Basic Speech Communication
- Public Speaking
- Interpersonal Communication
*Additional options to meet biology requirement: pass with C or better BI-101 & BI-102 or successfully complete the entire BI-231, BI-232, BI-233, Anatomy & Physiology series.
Core curriculum is sequential and may not be taken out of order, with the exception of CLA-100 which may be taken prior to beginning the program. Curriculum is intended to be completed in one academic year.
Current First Aid card and Healthcare Provider level CPR (AHA or ASHI) card are required during practicums and must be taken prior to the first term practicum. All CLA students will be required to complete a criminal history background, provide proof of immunization, and take a drug test.
Individuals who have been found guilty of a felony or pleaded guilty to a felony may not be eligible for clinical practicum placement or be eligible to take the National exams.
Note: All clinical practicum courses are Pass/No Pass. CLA-130 may be taken for either a letter grade or pass/no pass option. All other courses are letter grades only and must be passed with a C grade or better in order to continue to the next term.
- Helen Wand Program Director & Lead Instructor 503-594-0694
- Patricia DeTurk Adjunct Instructor 503-594-6142
- Nicole Paresi Adjunct Instructor & Outreach Coordinator 503-594-0660
- Jarett Gilbert Dept. Director & Associate Dean 503-594-0699
- Cindi Woodard Educational Systems Coordinator 503-594-0691
- Christy McClure Administrative Assistant 503-594-0650
- Amber Dawn Simulation Coordinator 503-594-6183