Vision + Initiatives
- CCC Purpose, Mission and Code of Ethics
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Guided Pathways
- Strategic Planning
- Highlights and Rankings
- Institutional Research
- Bond Initiatives
- Accreditation + Policies
- Consumer Information
- Job Opportunities
- Contact Us
CCC Offers Summer Health Care Careers Certificate
OREGON CITY – Clackamas Community College is offering a new Health Care Careers Certificate program this summer. The four-class certificate will help students explore and prepare for health care careers by introducing soft skills, communication skills and terminology.
The program will prepare students for a variety of entry-level health care jobs, including patient representative, clinical services specialist, medical receptionist and medical front desk. According to labor market analysis, the job outlook is strong in the health care industry. Patient representatives earn on average $38,638 a year, medical receptionists earn $32,676 and medical secretaries earn $43,698.
The classes are medical terminology; communications and ethical practices in health care settings; human relations; and communication skills or English composition. Students will learn medical office administrative services and clinical duties, such as patient intake as well as routine diagnostic and recording procedures.
Students who take the new communications and ethical practices in health care settings course (MA-135) will learn different communication styles, coping skills, and legal and ethical skills needed for patient interactions in a front office or receptionist entry-level position. Students will learn how to use an electronic health record computer system to complete front desk tasks, such as registering and scheduling patients.
Students will learn:
- Appointment scheduling and patient registration in an electronic health record
- How to compose or edit letters that apply to situations in medical front offices
- Coping skills used to resist stress factors in the work environment
- The importance of professional communication, and the communication cycle in a front-desk health care setting
- Laws that pertain to the role of a medical front office receptionist employee
Summer term starts June 21 and runs through Aug. 12. Registration is now open, and all courses will be online.